Stage Door News
Ottawa: The NAC extends performance and event cancellations through June 30, 2020
Thursday, April 9, 2020
The health and safety of our visitors, artists, and staff is of paramount importance. Due to the evolving situation of the COVID-19 coronavirus, the NAC will be extending performance and event cancellations and postponements until June 30. The NAC building, including the Box Office, remains closed until further notice.
This decision is the right thing to do to keep our community safe and healthy. Our audience expects nothing less of us. We take comfort in knowing that the NAC and its dedicated staff will be doing their part to help reduce the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Rest assured we will make every effort to accommodate our patrons and artists at this difficult time.
The NAC is taking the following measures effective immediately and continuing until it reopens:
- All ticketed performances and free public events are cancelled;
- Events booked through our Food and Beverage department (conferences, meetings) are cancelled during this period;
- The NAC’s 1 Elgin restaurant will close to the public for the duration of cancellation measures;
As of Monday March 16, the following additional measures are taken until further notice:
- The NAC building operations will be suspended to only essential functions;
- The NAC building and public spaces won’t be accessible to the public;
- The NAC Parking garage will remain open for monthly card holders and access will only be accessible through pedestrians’ doors (not from inside the building);
- The Box Office will assist ticket buyers by email only email@example.com, visit our refund and exchanges page for more details.
Message to NAC Ticket Buyers Regarding Refunds and Exchanges
All tickets for cancelled performances will be exchanged or refunded. As we are making this important announcement, we ask ticket buyers to be patient with us. Rest assured that we will take care of all ticket buyers. Your understanding is appreciated.
Please visit our Exchanges page if you have additional questions.
Exchange in person at the Box Office suspended – Please note that the Box Office is happy to continue to assist you online at firstname.lastname@example.org. All in person and phone interactions are suspended for the duration of cancellation measures.
Message about donations to the NAC Foundation
Note that duplicates of NAC Foundation charitable donation tax receipts will be issued once we return to our normal business. Thank you for your understanding.
Additional COVID-19 Measures
We encourage everyone to follow advice from public health agencies. While our shows and events are cancelled, we continue to take the following additional measures at the NAC:
- Our facilities maintenance team is taking extra care to sanitize all public spaces, including doorknobs, handrails and other surfaces
- Hand sanitizer is available in our spaces—but the best thing to do is wash your hands (sing Happy Birthday for 20 seconds for proper duration);
- We are asking staff and the public to stay home if they present symptoms.
- Informational signs are displayed in every restroom and throughout the space reminding visitors and patrons of best practices to promote health and prevent the spread of infection.
The NAC cares deeply about keeping our communities healthy. We ask that the public:
- Practice social-distancing;
- Consider elbow bumps – or perhaps jazz hands – instead of handshakes
- If you are experiencing sneezing, coughing, or fever, please stay home.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when coughing or sneezing (or an elbow or shoulder if no tissue is available)!
The coming days and weeks may bring tough challenges. We ask that everyone take care and stay healthy.
All of us at the National Arts Centre