Stage Door News
Toronto: The Toronto Fringe’s 24-Hour Play Contest runs January 28-29
Wednesday, January 11, 2023
We're launching into the winter with a welcome back to the 24-Hour Playwriting Contest – with some updates! This year the contest takes place online at the end of this month.
The prize for the selected winner will be a $1000 bursary, and the opportunity to meet with a dramturg or director to consult with about their work, thanks to the generous support of the Tony and Pat Freedom Fund for the Arts.
The writing period starts at 9:00am on Saturday, January 28th and finishes at 5:00pm on Sunday, January 29th, 2023. In order to encourage rest and breaks, we are giving 8 extra hours for the contest this year.
This year the contest returns, in January and online. On the morning of the contest, participants will receive instructions including four elements to include in their script.
Terms & Conditions:
• Open to all playwrights/writers who are permanent residents of Canada.
• More than one entry per playwright is not permitted.
• The submitted script must have been written fully in the (extended) 24-hour contest period.
• There is no minimum or maximum duration for your script.
• Submissions are anonymized for the Selection Committee.
The Toronto Fringe is committed to equality, diversity, and prioritizing accessibility. We warmly encourage applications from Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour communities, 2SLGBTQ+ identified persons as well as Deaf, Mad and disability-identified persons.
Registration for the contest costs $10. Registration closes at 12:00pm noon on Thursday January 26th, 2023. REGISTER HERE.