Stage Door News
Toronto: “Perceptual Archeology (Or How To Travel Blind)” opens June 1 at Crow’s Theatre
Monday, May 15, 2023
"What is it like to travel blind? A question I asked myself in the summer of 1996 while swimming in a pool in Los Angeles.”
Blind artist Alex Bulmer welcomes you to her five part “talk” exploring this question. Imagine a play created by blind and sighted artists. Imagine a play developed with a love of improvisation, sound, the absurd, and the uncertain. Imagine.
Adapted for theatre from her original blind travel essays, Alex sets off on a dramatic journey that playfully twists and turns across differing geographies and unexpected emotional terrain. Asking questions about how to perceive and make meaning of space, PERCEPTUAL ARCHAEOLOGY (OR HOW TO TRAVEL BLIND) is joyful, unpredictable, and sensory.
Alex Bulmer and director Leah Cherniak are established leaders in disability arts and physical theatre respectively, and have previously collaborated on several projects, including the 2021 short film, Postcards From My Balcony. Recently, Alex curated CoMotion Festival at Harbourfront Centre, a multidisciplinary celebration of new ideas and expressions by Deaf and Disabled artists.
PERCEPTUAL ARCHAEOLOGY (OR HOW TO TRAVEL BLIND) is designed and created for Blind and sighted audiences.
SHOWTIMES AND TICKETS:
• Preview Performances: June 1-3 @ 8pm and June 4 @ 2pm
• Opening Night: Tuesday, June 6, 2023, 8pm
• Runs: Tuesday – Saturday @8pm (except Friday, June 23 @ 2pm)
• Matinee Performances: Wednesday, June 7, Sunday, June 11, Wednesday, June 14, Sunday, June 18, Friday, June 23, Saturday, June 24 @ 2pm
• Closes Sunday, June 25, 2023 @ 2pm
• ASL Interpreted Performances by Phoenix The Fire: Tuesday, June 13 and Thursday, June 22 @ 8pm
• Relaxed Performances: Friday, June 2 @ 8pm (preview performance); Sunday, June 11 @2pm (masked performance and Pay-What-You-Can admittance); and Wednesday, June 21 @ 8pm
• Touch Tours: Tuesday, June 6 (masked performance); Wednesday, June 14, and Thursday, June 22 @ 8pm
Tickets start at $45*
• $15 tickets are available for people who are Blind/Deaf/Disabled or are low income and require accessible pricing options. Choose the ticket option in the drop-down menu, or email email@example.com, or call the box office at 647.341.7390 ext. 1010 for assistance.
• Group, student, senior, arts worker, and under 30 prices also available
• Sunday Pay-What-You-Can matinee tickets available two hours prior to show time
* Each ticket is subject to a $2.50 service fee and HST.
Purchase online at crowstheatre.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 647.341.7390 ext. 1010 or in person at 345 Carlaw Avenue (at Dundas Street East).
Crow’s Theatre and Fire and Rescue Team present
PERCEPTUAL ARCHAEOLOGY (OR HOW TO TRAVEL BLIND)
Written and performed by Alex Bulmer
Directed by Leah Cherniak
Onstage Creative Enabler Enzo Campa
Set, Props and Costume Design by Victoria Wallace
Sound Design by Thomas Ryder Payne and Deanna H. Choi
Lighting Design by Dave DeGrow
June 1 to 25, 2023
Opening Night: Tuesday, June 6, 2023
For more information visit www.crowstheatre.com.
or the plain text page www.crowstheatre.com.
Please also visit www.perceptualarchaeology.com, a blind-led digital art space and companion to the play.